{Red Mage} {Hmmm.} {/think} {Can I have it?}

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• {Red Mage} {Hmmm.} {/think} {Can I have it?}

Sue me if you don't like the topic title, I don't know what I should name the topic. {/laugh}

As some can guess from my signature, Red Mage is my 2nd-highest leveled job. Soon, it'll become my highest leveled job too. Actually, it may as well become my main job by then as I'm taking RDM to 75, hopefully. (But that's not to say I'm giving up DRG, abandoning it even, I've worked for a long time to get my DRG to where it is. Rather, I know I will not be leveling DRG for entire months.)

This is my equipment on Red Mage currently that I'm using:

Solid Wand
    Centurion's Sword
    Baron's Chapeau (even with the +2 Emnity I don't get any hate often)
    Holy Phial
    Baron's Saio
    Devotee's mitts
    Energy Earring +1 (which I will sell it for another Black Earring once I sell my other Energy Earring +1)
    Black Earring
    Electrum Ring x2
    Red Cape +1
    (Edited: Now have a Reverend Sash.)
    Custom Pants
    Custom F Boots

As you may notice, I'm going for plenty of INT and MND (trying to get more INT+ equipment now, reasonably compared to MND) while going for as much MP as I can.

What advice have yall?

P.S. For those wondering, I will level BLM to 37 soon.

P.S.S. I'm going to start crafting in alchemy soon perhaps, any advice there? (My alchemy is lvl 5.)
    Last edited by Draco Dagon; 06-28-2006, 01:31 PM.

Re: {Red Mage} {Hmmm.} {/think} {Can I have it?}

First of all you gotta start using equip macros.

You'll need 3 sets of gear MND, INT and MP (and STR/acc if you are still meleeing), using equip macros as needed. This will boost your casting abilities by a lot.

INT and MND +3 rings, at lvl 48 a Promise badge, etc.

The beauty about equip macros is that you'll have a huge boost for each cast, at that lvl you can get INT or MND +20 or much more without buying expensive gear.

If you have troubles sticking debuffs you can macro a good wand with your casts and then switch back to sword or dagger. As RDM we don't get much TP anyway so losing TP with your casting macros isn't a big deal.

Edit> Also for INT based spells you might wanna take off Devotee's and use something like Eng. Gloves (easy quest but you need a gold orcmask and that's kinda a pain) as they give INT +1

If you want me to explain in a more detailed way about all this just let me know, I kinda don't want to make the post too big.
    sigpic
    "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
    Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

If you can afford them, there are the level 35 skill+ earrings (Enfeebling, Elemental, etc.). Personally, I love my Mycophile Cuffs for the Enmity-, but that's more for WHM and BLM. If you don't have them, a Pilgrim's Wand, Seer's Tunic, and Baron's Slops to go along with your Reverend Sash in a /heal macro (assuming you're ever /healing).
      Ellipses on Fenrir
      There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
      . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Ellipses
        If you can afford them, there are the level 35 skill+ earrings (Enfeebling, Elemental, etc.). Personally, I love my Mycophile Cuffs for the Enmity-, but that's more for WHM and BLM. If you don't have them, a Pilgrim's Wand, Seer's Tunic, and Baron's Slops to go along with your Reverend Sash in a /heal macro (assuming you're ever /healing).
        I'll definitely get the Pilgrim's wand. The Seer's tunic, isn't equippable by RDM. Custom pants seem to help me more than Baron's slops however. I will take a look at the level 35 earrings definitely.

Comment

Crap, forgot RDM can't wear Seer's. >< I use the Baron's Slops in my /heal macro only (at least, after Custom become available). Then swap my +HMP gear for the Custom Slacks and the rest of my "real" gear for the last few ticks of resting. Though the benefit of that 1 HMP for a post-Convert, post-Refresh RDM who's only six levels away from a Dark Staff is probably debatable.
          Ellipses on Fenrir
          There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
          . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Ellipses
            Crap, forgot RDM can't wear Seer's. >< I use the Baron's Slops in my /heal macro only (at least, after Custom become available). Then swap my +HMP gear for the Custom Slacks and the rest of my "real" gear for the last few ticks of resting. Though the benefit of that 1 HMP for a post-Convert, post-Refresh RDM who's only six levels away from a Dark Staff is probably debatable.
            I could see where the MP Healing +1 could be more useful than 32MP/MND+3 once I get into the higher levels. But, just for now I do think Custom pants are better.

Comment

I guess you don't like the idea of using equip macros.

I just wanna make another suggestion for lvl 48, Magic Cuisses, INT and MND +3.
              sigpic

その目だれの目。

Comment

Originally posted by Raydeus
                I agree with Raydeus. You really need to have equip macros in place. I don't like separate ones though. I integrate them into my individual spell macros. You only have so much keys per palette and you can easily make a costly mistake from having to flip through palettes like some players do (Like casting a spell on the wrong mob or casting the wrong spell on a mob)

Comment

Originally posted by Raydeus
                  Now where did I say that? ><

Actually, I don't even know how to make an equip macro either.

Comment

(Red Mage) No you can't have it (Thanks for the offer, but I'll have to pass)

Equip macros are easy once you know Mom!

For a spell say Paralyze

label it para
                    /equip main "Wind Staff"
                    /equip ring1 some mnd + ring
                    /euqip ring2 some mnd + ring
                    /equip some other mnd crap
                    /ma "Paralyze" <bt>

For a nuke, say fire

/equip main "Fire staff" or if you just use a wand all the time you don't need this
                    /equip ring1 int
                    /equip ring2 int
                    /equip more int crap
                    /ma "Fire II" <bt>

You'll find yourself flashing in and out of existance in no time.

Comment

I'd say it's pretty much impossible to play RDM competently without equip macros once you pass level 51. You can slide through the first 50 levels without it, but once elemental staves appear, it's learn how to do it or learn just how badly your spells will get resisted.

Icemage

Comment

Micro equip macro guide (sort of ) :

First the equip slots.

main sub range ammo

head neck ear1 ear2

body hands ring1 ring2

back waist legs feet

To use an equip macro all you gotta do is type

/equip slot "name of the item"

To equip a promise badge you'd have to type something like this:

/equip neck "Promise Badge" <- (You can use auto translator to get the name of the item right, it's the same with spells and everything else.)

Note that if the item's name has more than one word you gotta use " " or the system wont recognize it.

Then you gotta use the limited space you have in each macro (6 lines) the best way possible.

Name
                        /equip main "Casting Wand"
                        /equip ring1 "MND ring"
                        /equip neck "MND badge"
                        /equip ring2 "MND ring"
                        /equip hand "MND mitts"
                        /ma Paralyze <t> <----could be <bt> <stnpc> etc.

<bt> It attacks the last beast target (is that the actual name?) you or your party attacked, this can be dangerous if you just slept an add because you might end up casting on the wrong mob.

<stnpc> This and <stpc> are used so an arrow appears and you can tab between targets, either all non player characters or player characters.

<t> Normal targeting, it will perform the action on anything you are targetting the moment you press the macro. (it can be dangerous if you are targeting something you shouldn't )

For resting you might wanna change all your + hmp gear and if it's full rest maybe macro some +mp gear too.

Name
                        /equip main "Dark staff or hmp wand"
                        /equip ring1 "MP ring"
                        /equip waist "HMP belt"
                        /equip ring2 "MP ring"
                        /equip legs "RSE with +mp"
                        /heal

There are many other commands you can use and include in your macros, but I'll list the ones I use the most. You can check the full list of comands by typing /?

/heal To rest
                        /recast "Spell or ability name" Used to display the recast time of an ability or spell
                        /ja "ability name" <me> or <t> To use an ability
                        /ma "Spell" <me> or <t> To use a spell

Now, if you need to change more than 5 pieces of gear at a time you might want to dedicate a macro for general stat items, and then in the actual spell macro add the things that are specific to the spell you are casting.

(I wont talk about other ways to use macros because I have no experience with 3rd party programs)

Example: Paralyze, MND based spell, Ice based, enfeebling skill based.

Macro 1 (Generic stat gear, INT, MND, MP etc.)

Name
                        /equip ring1 "MND ring"
                        /equip legs "MND slops" <
                        /equip ring2 "MND ring"
                        /equip neck "MND badge"
                        /equip hand "MND mitts"
                        /equip feet "MND boots"

< I placed something between the 2 rings because if both rings have the same name the system might not recognize the 2nd ring change (it happens a lot), and gives you a msg about being unable to equip.

Macro 2 (Spell specific stuff)

Name
                        /recast "Paralyze"
                        /equip main "Ice staff"
                        /equip body "Enf skill stuff"
                        /equip neck "Enfeebling skill stuff"
                        /ma Paralyze <t>

And that's it for the equip macro basics (I think...)

You'll spend a hours tweaking and getting used to your macros but once you get em right you'll see how much easier things become, and how much it will enhance you gameplay.

It's a lot of work at first, but once you are done and see that you cast an INT based spell with +30 INT and next you cast a MND spell based spell with +30 MND and both stick for a long time everything will be worth it.

In my case I have one macro palet for each sub, some macros repeat in all the pallets while sub specific change.

Try to keep all the macros you need for a determined sub in one palet, if you have to toggle because you are using more than 20 macros at a time you'll have a lot of troubles in tough battles (although it can be done).

Edit > Fixed a macro line that said /ma feet "MND boots" @.@
                        Last edited by Raydeus; 06-28-2006, 08:32 PM.
                        sigpic

その目だれの目。

Comment

Originally posted by Icemage
                          I'd say it's pretty much impossible to play RDM competently without equip macros once you pass level 51. You can slide through the first 50 levels without it, but once elemental staves appear, it's learn how to do it or learn just how badly your spells will get resisted.

Icemage
                          Icemage speaks the truth. In fact, I've learn to depend on equip swapping in macros since my 20s.

However, I'm not so sure about the whole resist issue anymore. I know I've argued with this (even with Icemage I think) about how I couldn't see the difference in my low 50s with elemental staves. However, ever since I've hit 62, I noticed I don't get much resists on my enfeebling w/o my Tabard on O_o As long as I have my staves ... weird. In fact, a level ago, I went to fight against processionaires which are known to resist enfeebling attempts like mad. But I had my VC on the whole time not even swapping my AF in for enfeebling and it stuck 80~85% of the time... with staves. So now I'm a believer of staves. When I get my hands on a spider torque (I hate these 3 PLDs that camp it because I know they are only doing it for gil and what's a poor RDM like me to do? ) I shouldn't have too much problems w/o my AF Tabard.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeni
                            However, I'm not so sure about the whole resist issue anymore. I know I've argued with this (even with Icemage I think) about how I couldn't see the difference in my low 50s with elemental staves. However, ever since I've hit 62, I noticed I don't get much resists on my enfeebling w/o my Tabard on O_o As long as I have my staves ... weird. In fact, a level ago, I went to fight against processionaires which are known to resist enfeebling attempts like mad. But I had my VC on the whole time not even swapping my AF in for enfeebling and it stuck 80~85% of the time... with staves. So now I'm a believer of staves. When I get my hands on a spider torque (I hate these 3 PLDs that camp it because I know they are only doing it for gil and what's a poor RDM like me to do? ) I shouldn't have too much problems w/o my AF Tabard.
                            I guess its because staves enhance elemental acc (maybe potency?) and not actually Enfeebling skill, since we have an already high enf. skill a +elemental acc boost is easier to notice.

Either way with +skill and +stat macros you'll easily hit a 95%+ or more stick rate. I know because ever since I started using equip macros I never get resisted... except for that last demon wave in Dynamis-Xarcabard...
                            sigpic

その目だれの目。

Comment

Why are people using wands? Post-51 shouldn't you have a staff equipped 100% of the time?

Comment

Working...
                              X